Topic: Algebra Regents
Replies: 10   Last Post: Jun 21, 2012 5:56 AM

knewtown@frankfort-schuyler.org

Re: Algebra Regents

All I can say is Wow! I am sure that the state was bombarded with calls today, but how unprofessional.

We debated about this also and felt it was an unfair question. However, since the question asked for the roots of the Quadratic Equation, with no y-values associated with it, we conceded that x = -4 and x= 2 are the only possible solutions. In my honest opinion, it was more of a reading comprehension question and noticing that the test asked for the roots of the quadratic "equation", despite asking students to use the graph for the solution, rather than testing their understanding of how to find roots graphically.

Kristina Newtown
Mathematics
Frankfort-Schuyler Middle School
605 Palmer Street
Frankfort, New York 13340

Phone: (315)895-7461

>>> Natasha Hazell <nhazell@gmail.com> 6/15/2012 3:16 PM >>>
We feel the same way & were told the same by the State. One of our
teachers was given a very rude and unprofessional response of "this was on
the June 2008 exam before, why are you b*tching about it". We will be
filing a complaint about that interaction.
On Jun 15, 2012 2:59 PM, "Catherine Weaver" <CWeaver@bataviacsd.org> wrote:

> We strongly disagree, but were told by the state that it had to be x =-4
> and x =2. ii argued that students displayed understanding by locating the
> points on the graph.
>
> Cathy Weaver
> Math Teacher
> Math Department Chair
> Batavia High School
> Email: cweaver@bataviacsd.org
> Voicemail: Ext. 7530

> Any thoughts about #34 on yesterday's algebra exam? Anyone agre/disagree
> with the rubric not allowing full credit if the student lists the
> coordinates instead of writing x =-4 and x =2?
>
> --
> -Natasha

If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying is strictly prohibited. The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.