Topic: Algebra Regents
Replies: 10   Last Post: Jun 21, 2012 5:56 AM

Mister Orzech

Re: Algebra Regents
att1.html (5.6 K)

So I agree with everything everyone is saying - but here's my problem with this question: it says I can't give full credit unless the roots are found graphically.  What if I see the roots being found algebraically, but I believe that the student used that to create the graph in the first place.  Does that mean I can't give full credit?  Hard to know what they were thinking.

________________________________
From: Caryl Lorandini <mathcaryl@aol.com>
To: amtnys@mathforum.org
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: Algebra Regents

I think the issue is more the wording of "Using the graph".  It makes kids believe they want coordinates.
No matter how many times teachers reiterate that they need to pay attention to the details and make sure they are answering the question, it is the same story. It is lost on most kids; they just think Math teachers are so picky. It is incorrect to say the ordered pairs.

Caryl Lorandini
AMTNYS, Treasurer
LIMACON, Secretary
NCMTA, Past-President