Topic: #34 Algebra Regents
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jun 21, 2012 4:00 PM

MISTERMATH@aol.com

Re: #34 Algebra Regents
att1.html (5.4 K)

The intercept refers to a signed-distance from some reference point (the zero point).
The point of intersection has the coordinates of the point along that line/segment/axis of measurement.

So, in the equation: y = 3x + 2, the point of intersection is (0,2). The (y) intercept is +2 (defining the distance from the origin to the point of intersection (0,2) on the y-axis).

This definition of intercept becomes foundational in discussing geometry of the circle where intercepted arcs are associated with intersecting chords/tangents/secants. They become that which is "contained" along the arcs from the points created by the intersections with chords/secants/lines - hence it is the "distance" along that arc (using one intersection point as the reference (0) point for measurement)