Topic: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Replies: 25   Last Post: Jun 25, 2012 12:46 AM

Michael Stemper

Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs

In article <6bff5cbe-cd38-4dda-9229-d1e223be2479@googlegroups.com>, ahum <pierre.franckx@gmail.com> writes:
>On Friday, June 22, 2012 9:40:33 AM UTC+2, William Elliot wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012, ahum wrote:

>> > At this moment I'm studying IT(programming)in eveningschool. I will
>> > obtain a limited degree (one could compare it to a bachelor, but it
>> > isn't). This could lead to a full bachelor degree at a university. I
>> > would like to refresh my mathematical skills trough selfstudy, I would
>> > like to study my highschool maths but have trouble finding books or
>> > courses which contain the full proofs of the subjects. I have found many
>> > excellent books on algebra, calculus, geometry and others, but it is al
>> > applied, and no mathematical proofs whatsoever. And I really want these
>> > proofs, because I want to fully grasp and understand what I'm doing
>> > (which sounds obvious). Can you help me find the courses or books I
>> > need? I'm of course prepared to pay the price for books needed to
>> > increase my knowledge and skills. Thanks in advance

>> Proofs are now consider unneded and too hard for students.
>> Get either old text books or higher level texts.

>Thank you very much for the swift response. That's weird. And a bit of a disappointment. But my goal is to understand en grasp the subject, so I'm going to study it anyway.
>Can you provide me with some titles?

Feast your eyes:
<http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-science-and-mathematics-mathematics.html>

Every math book that I've bought from them is loaded with proofs, both
in the exposition and as exercises.

And they're cheap!

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>

Date Subject Author
6/22/12
Read books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
William Elliot
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Graham Cooper
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Michael Stemper
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
quasi
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
quasi
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Frederick Williams
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
amzoti
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Porky Pig Jr
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/24/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Porky Pig Jr
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Frederick Williams
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/22/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
KBH
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
Frederick Williams
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/23/12
Read Re: books or courses with mathematical proofs
ahum
6/25/12