Topic: algebra II trig results
Replies: 56   Last Post: Jul 5, 2012 9:57 AM

Glenn Mary

Re: algebra II trig results

We provided weekly review sheets with past regents questions. The review
sheets were handed out on Monday and due on Friday. Students could get help
with the questions and were given a grade (20 to 30 points). Starting in
the 2nd week of May, we held after-school review sessions 2 to 3 times a
week for 45 minutes. Each review session covered one unit. In addition to
all of the above, I made flashcards on all the required skills/concepts, and
yes, even painstakingly cut them up with a paper cutter, put them in plastic
bags, handed them out about 3 weeks before the exam and begged my kids to
study them at least 15 minutes a day. We held evening review sessions the
Sunday and Monday before the exam. Only 5 out of our 80 students failed.

However, another big reason for our success is the fact that early in the
year, we move (only those who are willing) those who are struggling to an
Intro to A2T class. Last year, I kept my struggling students and worked
with those who were willing to get extra help, my results were disastrous.

I also reminded my kids that they needed to put in the effort this year and
in June to review because it would not be easy nor fun to try to do all this
review in January or next June.

Have a good summer.

Mary