Topic: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Replies: 41   Last Post: Jul 11, 2012 12:56 AM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?

Cordially,
Clyde

From: "Jonathan Crabtree" <sendtojonathan@yahoo.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:57 PM
To: <math-teach@mathforum.org>
Subject: Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?

> I can teach a grade 2/3 child all their harder times tables in 5 minutes
> via a poem. This is pedagogy.

# Correction: this is parrot-training -- imparting verbiage-data, without
derivation from personal mathematical comprehension. It is NOT mathematical
pedagogy.

>They then understand the process after 15 minutes. This is math.
# Only if they personally conclude each multiplicative combination as a
personal theorem. If you mean some other kind of "understanding", it might
or might not be "math." You must clarify not only what you mean by
"understanding", but also what you mean by "math".

>This is neither future nor hypothetical. This is fact.
#What's "this"?

>The benefit of simpler arithmetic ...
#As yet, you have not disclosed what you mean by "simpler arithmetic"

> ... for governments is SYSTEM, which is an acronym for Save Your State
> Time Effort and Money. For principals substitute Staff for State. For
> children, substitute Self for State and Memory for Money.
>
> Maybe you are too polite Joe as I sense you and others know the benefit of
> a simpler arithmetic is both huge and threatening at the same time.
>
> What you need is proof arithmetic can be made simpler.

# What we need first is to know what you mean by making arithmetic
"simpler." Only then can there be any such proof.

>As I mentioned, I will document my framework
# Your mathematical theory of arithmetic?

>... and seek input or improvement. Then I will provide proof by way of
>example.

# Examples prove the existence such cases ... not the generaliztions

> The interesting thing is kids just accept my math and enjoy it. It is
> adults who express shock at how simple arithmetic can be.
>
> My hope is that by sharing my ideas you will help clarify tbe jargon
> required so my ideas translate correctly into professional environments.
>
> If you think my ideas have merit, then I would like to draft a paper WITH
> you and share the byline as a team effort at your discretion.
>
> My goal is to then finish a series of ebooks and give them away free.

Date Subject Author
6/25/12
Read How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Jonathan Crabtree
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Haim
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Haim
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Paul A. Tanner III
6/25/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Domenico Rosa
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Haim
6/26/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/27/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Cool Jessica
6/27/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
GS Chandy
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Jonathan Crabtree
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Wayne Bishop
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Paul A. Tanner III
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Domenico Rosa
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/29/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
6/30/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Jonathan Crabtree
6/30/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Wayne Bishop
6/30/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Jonathan Crabtree
7/1/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
7/3/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Domus
7/4/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
James Elander
7/4/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Robert Hansen
7/4/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Wayne Bishop
7/4/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Clyde Greeno
7/4/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Wayne Bishop
7/4/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
7/6/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
7/8/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Joe Niederberger
7/10/12
Read Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Jonathan Crabtree
7/11/12