Topic: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?
Replies: 41   Last Post: Jul 11, 2012 12:56 AM

Clyde Greeno

Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?

Alternatively, since the wrong kind of " simplification" might be as
disastrous as it was in the 1970s, the challenge of making arithmetic more
common-sensible might require increasing its complexity. For example,
injecting the addition and subtraction of *proper* combinations of American
coins provides strong conceptual understanding of the commonly confusing
notions of "carrying/borrowing." But that injection likely would be
widely regarded as "complicating" the arithmetic.

Cordially,
Clyde