Replies: 3   Last Post: Jul 12, 2012 8:45 PM

dennis roberts

Re: [ap-stat] Standards Based Grading

On 7/10/2012 1:16 PM, Gregory Resor wrote:
> We are also basing this move off of Marzano and his work.
>
> I think you have given me a better idea of where to start and what I want to do. I look forward to reading your blog.
>
> Thank you,
> Greg Resor

For those a bit on the younger side ... this is only a variation of what
was very popular decades ago ... behavioral objectives. Think of
something like variability. What is it that students should be able to
do with this? You probably can think of 25 "things". You list out the 25
things ... create statements for each that not only gives the behavior
but the level at which one would have to be able to demonstrate one's
skill ... inorder to get the checkmark by the box for that skill/behavior.

Standards based grading is nothing new ... it's just behavioral
objectives that have been broadened a bit ...

http://med.fsu.edu/index.cfm?page=facultydevelopment.behavobjectives

The general problem with this approach is a very practical one, not
conceptual. If you think of a course like APstat ... there could be
hundreds and hundreds of behavioral objectives ... and it becomes very
unwieldy to work with all and assess all ... and be able to summarize
what kids can do in some meaningful and not overwhelming way.

Frequently asked questions(FAQ) http://mrmathman.com/faq
ap-stat resources: http://apstatsmonkey.com
---
To unsubscribe click here: