The Math Forum

Topic: Flux limiter and explicit method CFL restriction
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jul 17, 2012 2:01 PM

bigorneault@gmail.com

Re: Flux limiter and explicit method CFL restriction

Le dimanche 15 juillet 2012 12:29:05 UTC-4, bouloumag a écrit :
> A class of TVD scheme was developed by Sweby[1] where a flux limiter is added to the Second Order Upwind (SOU) schemes differencing scheme to prevent the formation of oscillations in the scalar field.
>
> I am interested by the CFL restriction of these scheme in the context of the explicit forward euler time integration.
>
> One important property of the SOU discussed by Leonard [2] is that even-order upwind schemes have a two times wider stability interval than odd-order ones. Thus, SOU is stable at the extended interval 0 < CFL < 2.
>
> Question : Are there any TVD scheme based on SOU that also preserve stability for CFL < 2 or more ?
>
> Thanks for your help !
>
> Christine
>
> [1] P. K. Sweby. High resolution schemes using flux limiters for hyperbolic conservation laws.
> SIAM Journal of Numerical Analysis, 21(5):995?1011, 1984.
>
> [2] Leonard, B. P. Stability of explicit advection schemes. The
> balance point location rule.
> Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids 38, 471 ?514, 2002.

The minmod limiter is just a simple switch between the Beam-Warming and the Lax-Wendroff method. Both schemes are stable for clf < 2.