Topic: What's the geometry meaning of i^i ?
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jul 29, 2012 2:34 PM

Frederick Williams

Re: What's the geometry meaning of i^i ?

Pfsszxt@aol.com wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 04:28:34 +0000 (UTC), Hongyi Zhao
> <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >Hi all,
> >
> >What's the geometry meaning of i^i ? Here, i is the imaginary unit.
> >
> >Regards

> What on earth do you mean by "geometry meaning".

It's not for me to explain what the OP meant, but multiplication by i
corresponds to rotation about the origin by a quarter circle. That is
clearly geometrical; so it is reasonable to wonder what (if anything) is
the geometrical meaning of exponentiation.

> "i" is simply the point (0,1) in the plane!

And the principal value of i^i is about one fifth!!

--
The animated figures stand
Adorning every public street