Topic: Solomon Garfunkel on Common Core Standards
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jul 30, 2012 8:36 PM

Anna Roys

Re: Solomon Garfunkel on Common Core Standards

While I have not researched how the new Common Core Math Standards were created, I am busy this summer getting acquainted with the CC Grade 6-8 Math standards as I will teach these grade levels this year. The State of Alaska has not adopted Common C ore yet, however, Anchorage School District where I am employed has adopted them. (What I have noted is that in many cases in the CC standards are higher than Alaska Standards Grad e Level Equivalencies so I am happy about that.) I have been reviewing Pearson Prentice Hall Middle Grades Courses 1-3 for alignment and possible use. I teach at a public charter school where curriculum decisions are made by the teachers. I would greatly appreciate specific recommendations on the content in CC Math standards as far as how I might work to exceed rather than just meet these standards. I would be happy to have curriculum recommendations, too. Thank you so much, Anna

- ------Original Message------
From: Domenico Rosa <DRosa@post.edu>
To: <math-teach@mathforum.org>
Date: Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:10:22 PM UTC
Subject: Solomon Garfunkel on Common Core Standards

The Aug. 2012 NOTICES of the AMS contains Solomon Garfunkel's Opnion piece "What's a Math Educator to Do?"

http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/noti877

I did a double take when I read the second sentence: "I truly think that the Common Core Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM) are a disaster."

As I read on, it turns out that he "was actually on the writing team for CCSSM," will retrain teachers, will "be involved with the implementation of CCSSM," "will work with assessment consortia," "will sit on advisory boards for curriculum projects," etc.

It turns out that the latest rubbish in mathematics education is being promoted by many of the same people (e.g. Steven Leinwand) who are responsible for the "standards" and "reform math" disaster.