Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 1, 2012 1:48 PM

John Bennett

Re: [ap-stat] BVD text and MathXL use, anyone?

I have used MathXL as part of the MyMathLab LMS offered by Pearson for two years. I usually assign at least one homework assignment a week using it. I like the options it provides to give students additional help. One feature I particular like about it, is these assignments can be set up as "media assignments" where a video can be assigned which students must open before getting access a set of problems. I often set up the assignment and group the problems under a video going over the material that those problems cover. This has been particularly useful in the online courses I have taught.

The one draw back in a Statistics class is, unlike other math classes, statistics doesn't build well around simply being able to do the same type of problem over and over again, with new numbers being plugged in. I haven't found a way to use MathXL to make sure a student understands the CONCEPT behind a problem instead of learning to replicate a series of steps that provides an answer. This is what I usually spend most of my classroom time doing activities that reinforce the concepts, and use MathXL for students to try their hand at applying the concepts.
--

John Bennett, MA

>>> On 8/1/2012 at 12:52 PM, "Paul Malsam" <pmalsam@regisjesuit.com> wrote:
> I am using BVD 3r ed. I am being encouraged by my department to use the
> MathXL software that comes from the publisher. This software does appear to
> make life easier for the teacher but I am not sure it helps students that
> much especially in AP Stats. Homework and even quizzes can be done online,
> and there are tutorials as well. It is essentially almost an online textbook.
> The Calculus and Pre Calc teachers have been using it and seem to like it.
> Is anyone else out there using MathXL?, and how do you like it, reccomend it,
> etc, esp in a Stats class!
> Frequently asked questions(FAQ) http://mrmathman.com/faq
> ap-stat resources: http://apstatsmonkey.com
> ---
> To search the list archives for previous posts go to
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/?forum=ap-stat
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/my_forums/
> To change your subscription address or other settings click here:
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/my_account/edit

Email correspondence to and from the offices of the State of North Carolina
may be subject to the North Carolina Records Law and may be
disclosed to third parties by an authorized state official. (NCGS.CH132)