Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 1, 2012 1:59 PM

Ceyanes Ben

RE: [ap-stat] BVD text and MathXL use, anyone?

I have used MathXL for College Algebra for the last 4 years and I do like it. One hint though. Turn off the "solve for me" feature. My students would abuse this feature during the homeworks and then would have no clue what to do during the test. I had a 8, 12, and 17 on a test during my first year and my test average throughout the year was well below 60. Once I turned off the feature the students scores all improved. This year I am trading college algebra to start a statistics program so I cannot offer any stats advice.

Ben

From: Paul Malsam [pmalsam@regisjesuit.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 11:52 AM
To: AP Statistics
Subject: [ap-stat] BVD text and MathXL use, anyone?

I am using BVD 3r ed. I am being encouraged by my department to use the MathXL software that comes from the publisher. This software does appear to make life easier for the teacher but I am not sure it helps students that much especially in AP Stats. Homework and even quizzes can be done online, and there are tutorials as well. It is essentially almost an online textbook. The Calculus and Pre Calc teachers have been using it and seem to like it. Is anyone else out there using MathXL?, and how do you like it, reccomend it, etc, esp in a Stats class!
Frequently asked questions(FAQ) http://mrmathman.com/faq
ap-stat resources: http://apstatsmonkey.com
---
To unsubscribe click here: