Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 1, 2012 6:52 PM

David Quatrone

Re:[ap-stat] Book on probability

Sorry, I guess I forgot to include the request.  To repeat, this is a question from a Mensan book lovers site.  I was hoping to get some good answers.  Thanks in advance.  Here it is:
Can anyone recommend me some good introductory books on probability theory? I'm looking for something that's more of an overview, but less in the style of a textbook. It's alright if it's technical, as long as it is not of a highly technical and abstruse nature.

A recap of the books I have read: one book was highly philosophical - incorporating a "modal ontology" (in particular, a view of probability based on S5 modal logic)- while not having much mathematical insight. In fact, he did not give a definition of what probability was, insisting that its nature would be elucidated in practice. But I fail to see how a view of the properties of probability based on a quantification over possible worlds could be consistent with scientific practice. For example, if we wanted to talk about the random probability of a radioactive decay process, it would seem ridiculous for a scientist to respond: "well...that depends on what world we are talking about."

A better philosophical book on probability is "Philosophical Theories of Probability" by Donald Gillies. A good book on general probability from a Bayesian perspective is "Probability - The Logic of Science" by Jaynes. At the moment, I am primarily searching for books on mathematical probability theory, and not on probability interpretations, but any suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

F. Aiello