On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Robert Hansen <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > None of this looks like teaching Kirby. Where do these students go after your pep talk? Or maybe I am unfamiliar with your intended purpose here. When I talk about a STEM curriculum I mean one that would enable the student to attain a career in a STEM field. You have to have a structured curriculum involving stages and preparation to prepare for that, at least through high school. I don't see that here. It seems like you are just doing tricks in front of a class. These demonstrations may inspire a student but that is about 5% of the task. Where is the other 95%? > > Bob Hansen
Oh they're working quite hard, following along then going off on their own tangents, with Python + VPython. They write from scratch or edit the scaffolding I'm providing.
Alums of SA: tend to do well on average, I wouldn't worry they're not learning. I've taught this material long enough to have them come back to thank me.
Anyway, this is just a one week gig, so of course it's not about aping a high school teacher in some so-called 'STEM subject area'.
What they learn, implicitly I think, is a school that teaches nothing about tcp/ip anywhere in its curriculum is not worth a hill of beans, and actually a hill of beans is worth more.
We're somewhat snobby in other words, looking down on Slave Nation where they don't teach you a thing (don't get me wrong, a lot of schools *do* squeeze in lessons about how the Internet works between the lines -- but don't expect CCSSM to have anything useful to offer. Hardy har har if you thought so.).
>> You can get a simple Mandelbrot in Visual Python with this code: >> >> >> def mandelbrot( ): >> for r in range(-40, 10): >> for i in range(-20, 20): >> c = complex(r/10.0, i/10.0) >> z = 0 >> for times in range(10): >> z = z*z + c >> if abs(z) < 1: >> sphere(radius=.5, pos=(r,i,0), color = color.black) >> else: >> sphere(radius=.5, pos=(r,i,0), color = color.red) >> >> (see plaintext view for syntactically significant whitespace)