The Math Forum

Topic: Overdoing Algebra too Early
Replies: 36   Last Post: Aug 4, 2012 4:36 PM

kirby urner

Re: Overdoing Algebra too Early

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
> None of this looks like teaching Kirby. Where do these students go after your pep talk? Or maybe I am unfamiliar with your intended purpose here. When I talk about a STEM curriculum I mean one that would enable the student to attain a career in a STEM field. You have to have a structured curriculum involving stages and preparation to prepare for that, at least through high school. I don't see that here. It seems like you are just doing tricks in front of a class. These demonstrations may inspire a student but that is about 5% of the task. Where is the other 95%?
>
> Bob Hansen

Oh they're working quite hard, following along then going off on their
own tangents, with Python + VPython. They write from scratch or edit
the scaffolding I'm providing.

Lots of this stuff:

>>> import sys
>>> sys.path.append("c:/users/SAStu12")
>>> import sa1 # or whatever

Alums of SA: tend to do well on average, I wouldn't worry they're not
learning. I've taught this material long enough to have them come back
to thank me.

Anyway, this is just a one week gig, so of course it's not about aping
a high school teacher in some so-called 'STEM subject area'.

What they learn, implicitly I think, is a school that teaches nothing
about tcp/ip anywhere in its curriculum is not worth a hill of beans,
and actually a hill of beans is worth more.

We're somewhat snobby in other words, looking down on Slave Nation
where they don't teach you a thing (don't get me wrong, a lot of
schools *do* squeeze in lessons about how the Internet works between
the lines -- but don't expect CCSSM to have anything useful to offer.
Hardy har har if you thought so.).

Kirby

>> You can get a simple Mandelbrot in Visual Python with this code:
>>

>> def mandelbrot( ):
>> for r in range(-40, 10):
>> for i in range(-20, 20):
>> c = complex(r/10.0, i/10.0)
>> z = 0
>> for times in range(10):
>> z = z*z + c
>> if abs(z) < 1:
>> sphere(radius=.5, pos=(r,i,0), color = color.black)
>> else:
>> sphere(radius=.5, pos=(r,i,0), color = color.red)
>>
>> (see plaintext view for syntactically significant whitespace)

Date Subject Author
7/29/12
Read Overdoing Algebra too Early
Robert Hansen
[...]