Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 5, 2012 10:10 AM

Corey Andreasen

RE:[ap-stat] Reading guides

Assess or grade? (They're not the same thing!)

You can assess pretty well with class discussions. You can even ask kids and, in my classes anyway, they're pretty honest. (I assume they're being honest. I can't imagine why someone who read the text would claim they didn't.)

I think how you assess the reading depends on your goal. Do you want to know if they did it? Do you want to motivate them to do it? (If that's the case, it's really not assessment you're interested in.) Do you want to know what they learned from it? Do you want to assign a grade for it?

I don't have any answers, but it may help to think through questions like this to decide what your goal is before you try to select or design a method.

Corey
________________________________
From: Fowler, Robin [robin.fowler@simpson.kyschools.us]
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2012 7:30 AM
To: AP Statistics
Subject: [ap-stat] Reading guides

I used reading guides I had purchased from another educator, but was not really happy with them. They seemed to maybe go with a previous edition and some were so long I had a hard time grading them and the "cherubs" liked to "work together" on them (aka copy). Does anyone use a more creative way of assessing reading the text???

Frequently asked questions (FAQ): http://mrmathman.com/faq<http://web.me.com/mrmathman/MrMathMan/FAQ.html>
ap-stat Resources: http://apstatsmonkey.com<http://apstatsmonkey.com/>

Frequently asked questions(FAQ) http://mrmathman.com/faq
ap-stat resources: http://apstatsmonkey.com