Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 5, 2012 11:42 AM

Jennifer Kaplan

Re: [ap-stat] Grad School Question

I want to echo what Bob said about Masters programs in mathematics
education. There are some fabulous ones out there. What an AP statistics
teacher should look carefully at in terms of these programs is the number
of credit hours that are allowed to be statistics courses and whether the
pedagogy courses include units on teaching and learning of statistics. In
my experience, programs tend to require 9 - 18 credit hours in mathematics,
not more than half of which can be statistics classes. This puts an upper
limit of 3 semester courses in statistics (except at universities with a
combined math and stat department or at which statistics courses have math
designations or are cross listed). In terms of pedagogy, many departments
have focused on the teaching and learning of algebra and/or geometry to the
exclusion of statistics so it would be worthwhile to ask about that or to
ask for a recent syllabus of the classes you might be interested in taking.

All of that said, and this is *perhaps* premature to announce in this
forum, but the statistics department at the University of Georgia is *hoping
* to have an M.S. degree in statistics education on the books by the Fall
2013 semester. One target audience for the degree is H.S. mathematics
teachers who want a deeper background in statistical knowledge and
statistics teaching and learning. It will be a face to face program, but it
can be completed in 4 semesters (so two summers and one year in between
should be possible) and students would be compete for TAships with the
other students applying to the department. If anyone wants more information
about the *proposed* program, feel free to email me directly at
jkaplan@uga.edu.

Regards,

Jennifer

Jennifer J. Kaplan

> [...]