Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 5, 2012 10:16 PM

Corey Andreasen

RE: [ap-stat] Homework

You're going into your third year and don't have homework figured out? I had it down after a week! :-)

Seriously, I don't know of a solution. I think part of the solution has to do with making sure the tasks are valuable and manageable. And part of it has to do with keeping the focus on learning.

I record homework, but it's not part of their grade. Many students don't do it, but that was also true when I graded it. Some students report that they do some of it, but don't turn it in. I'm OK with that. In fact, I tell students that I don't care if they don't do every assigned problem, but if they have the attitude that they don't have to do homework, they'll be in trouble. Some find that out the hard way.

Corey
________________________________
From: Sue Cole [scole@wma.us]
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2012 4:46 PM
To: AP Statistics
Subject: [ap-stat] Homework

I know that this discussion has happened before but once again it is that time of the summer that I reassess my grading policy and homework stares me in the face. I have thought about several scenarios all summer and cannot think of one that will help me reached my goal of having students do the homework in order to better understand the material and to practice working with the newly introduced concepts. Before teaching AP Stats, my less motivated students did not care enough to copy, but my AP students are highly focused on grades. First year, I gave credit for trying and corrected selected problems, second year I graded most problems and grade reflected correctness. Both years many students just copied from their peers. A group of my Chinese students even wanted to argue that homework is a waste of time and in China the teachers do not care whether students copy so why should I. So is there a solution. Don't give credit for homework and only those students who are highly motivated and understand the connection between homework and understanding will do it? Make it worth such a small amount that students don't feel the pressure to copy? Still in a quandary going into my third year of AP Stats.

Sent from FirstClass with my iPad

Frequently asked questions (FAQ): http://mrmathman.com/faq<http://web.me.com/mrmathman/MrMathMan/FAQ.html>
ap-stat Resources: http://apstatsmonkey.com<http://apstatsmonkey.com/>

Frequently asked questions(FAQ) http://mrmathman.com/faq