Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 5, 2012 10:36 PM

John & Mary Harrison

RE: [ap-stat] Homework

I struggle with this every year as well (and I have been teaching AP Stats a lot longer than 3 years).

So this year I decided to try and get student input. I started an edmodo group and a part of their summer assignment (required by my school) is for them to join the group and determine the homework policy for the class. Should it be weighted? How much? Is effort enough (which does, I suppose, include copying) or should it be correctness? School does not start until after Labor Day, so only the most motivated students have responded so far ? probably the ones who normally do homework anyway. I am hoping that I will have enough responses so that the policy is set before class starts and make the results a part of the class expectation sheet.

I am thinking about making Thursdays ?make up homework day?. So anyone who did not have their homework for any reason will be assigned a detention on Thursday to make up the homework they missed.

Mary Harrison

Salem High School
Va. Beach, va.