Replies: 2   Last Post: Aug 6, 2012 7:15 AM

Jared Derksen

Re: [ap-stat] Homework

I assign homework. Students do whatever they want. I don't grade it, look
at it or count it towards their grade. Last year was the first time I've
tried this and I'll never go back. I stopped giving points for "effort",
for writing down junk, for copying during lunch and I stopped penalizing
students for not doing practice they didn't need.

I try to quiz more often. And I like small group assessments to work on
more challenging problems. And some projects. But its mostly tests.

My grades didn't change. My AP scores went up. My highest flyers love me.

JD

--
Jared Derksen
mrmathman.com