Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 6, 2012 11:49 AM

Dr. Eugene D. Gallagher

RE: [ap-stat] Reading guides

One approach might be to conduct "Just in Time" surveys on the assigned
reading. (See http://jittdl.physics.iupui.edu/jitt/what.html) If every
student in class had access to the web, have them send an email or post
on a course website a list of 3 items from the readings that they would
like to learn more about in that day's class. For students without
internet access, have them provide the 3 items on a note card handed in
at the start of class. Then, quickly scan the JIT surveys and modify the
class to teach those topics or lead a class discussion of those topics.
Now, what about cheating? What if a student asks a neighbor in the
hallway outside of class, what should I list for today's JIT survey and
the neighbor says, "the difference between a paired and independent
samples t test"? It would be very easy to detect such a student abusing
the system by looking at the card or web posting of a suspected abuser
and asking, "John, tell us about the paired t test example from the text
and what you found confusing about it."