Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 6, 2012 2:02 PM

Debra Brinkman

Re: [ap-stat] Homework

I use the example of music students and athletes. It amazes me how the music students have no problem of playing their etudes over and over, or how an athlete totally understands the importance of drills and practicing plays over and over. I firmly believe that homework exercises brain tissue and helps develop instincts so that deeper thinking can be used. No one can learn their multiplication tables without lots of practice, and the same applies to working with all of the intricacies of a normal curve.

Debra Brinkman
B-17
Coronado Math Dept

----- Original Message -----
From: "Amy Hogan" <stats.bths@gmail.com>
To: "AP Statistics" <ap-stat@lyris.collegeboard.com>
Sent: Monday, August 6, 2012 5:15:34 AM
Subject: re:[ap-stat] Homework

The argument that homework is irrelevant by a teenager needn't be addressed here. I mean, really. It is the role of the teacher to show how doing homework is important for doing well in a class. (Perhaps a plot of homework grade vs. test grades here?)

Sue, I think you're intentions are great but maybe a switch in how you're thinking about it will help. Why not harness this interaction that your students have? Instead of trying to get them to stop copying, make it so that they are working together. Assign homework daily, but not too much. Whatever you assign, make sure it's worth their time.

Here's the kicker: encourage them to work together if they would like. Say it out loud in class. I even provide my students with a discussion board just for their questions. I do not participate, only monitor. If you see that a HW problem was a challenge for some/many, allow them to discuss in groups in class the following day.

Once students see how much they learn from the homework process, they might be convinced to actually do it. Yeah, sure, some will never learn. Creating a sense of community and camaraderie in a classroom, however, can really help facilitate learning.
Frequently asked questions(FAQ) http://mrmathman.com/faq
ap-stat resources: http://apstatsmonkey.com
---
To unsubscribe click here: