Topic: Enrichment
Replies: 38   Last Post: Aug 24, 2012 1:33 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Enrichment

Peter Duveen posted Aug 17, 2012 7:30 PM:

> Chandy, I read through your document about how a
> child learns. I am supportive of what you say there.
> Questions are important, and one should not stifle
> them. Questions lead to the magnificent realm of
> knowledge which is as yet unexplored. That's how I
> treat them in myself, and how I learn so many
> interesting things, some of my own discovery.
> Students' questions ought to be treated similarly.
>
> Bob,

<SNIP>
That document you have looked at *describes* (but only describes) something - specific learning characteristics of human beings - and I am delighted you support the reasoning in it.

Given that you support the basic ideas described in that document, the real question(s) then demanding answer really are:

QUESTIONS::
**HOW** to enable students to learn (at each level)?

[Student: primary school---KG---Middle school---High school; of course, the strategies developed should be appropriate and effective for the specific learning abilities at each of these levels; in fact, strategies should be appropriate and effective for the learning abilities of each student at each level. A huge and very imposing task, indeed!! But it can be done - and it is indeed done by every good teacher, more or less intuitively, guided by what is known about 'learning skills'].

The OPMS process described makes it all available (to anyone willing to *do the drill*) with high effectiveness 'as a system', which can be applied as he/she specifically needs). In particular, the OPMS enables you to work out, for yourself, the:

a) WHAT?

b) HOW? and

c) WHY?
(of each and every thing that you may do in support of your chosen Mission - including, e.g. stimulating this particular student's interest in math via exposure to elementary aspects of calculus; if, of course, you finally find it appropriate and useful to go that route).

[Your real Mission will of course involve: actually enabling the student to learn - effectively and in sufficient depth - all the math he needs].

Suggestions as to how a problem-solver may develop appropriate answers to all above question(s) are outlined (in general - not specifically for teaching) at:

i) OPMS - in outline (Word document)

ii) OPMS - elevator presentation (PowerPoint presentation)

iii) Some appropriate background is provided at "What is Modeling?"; "How a Child Learns" (which you have looked at); "Deep Logic".

Let me know if you want to explore further. If you are keen enough to "do the drill", I shall be happy to help.

In particular, please do look quite carefully at the section entitled "Difficulties" in the PowerPoint presentation (after glancing through the whole presentation).

[In previous postings here, I have provided some actual models, etc - which you may like to look at: not essential, but it could be useful. (You will of course have to develop your own models related to your chosen Mission)].

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy