Topic: Enrichment
Replies: 38   Last Post: Aug 24, 2012 1:33 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Enrichment

Very nice Peter, your reply was what I was hoping for. It is derivations, such as this, that the student must involve themselves with and apply if they want to understand the elements of physics. Pressure and temperature are not "concepts" they are measurable properties (quantities), that are in fact mathematical aggregations of properties of the gas particles themselves. The epiphanies in this development, other than the grand epiphany that we are able to develop such things in the first place, are that pressure is actually a macroscopic measure of the gas particles "bouncing" off the walls and that temperature is a macroscopic measure of the kinetic energy of those particles. Also, mathematical derivation shows how terms are (conveniently) collected, and later mathematical application of this analysis will reveal that they were collected in just the right way. Even though the physics student will not realize this immediately, they will realize it eventually. This derivat!
ion of pressure and temperature was not arbitrary. It was guided by our macroscopic notions of temperature and pressure. The original derivation took quite some time (100's of years) and many iterations to get it just right. Further, this analysis can now be applied to phenomena that makes sense to us, ice melting in a glass or water, and phenomena that doesn't make sense to us (yet), like refrigeration.

Generally, a solid (high school) physics class starts with algebra and then leads into calculus. This can be in tandem with a calculus class or not. If the students are following this type of analysis, they can get applied calculus (sans the continuity arguments) quicker than you think. But they must be on top of the algebra. I found physics a very enjoyable environment in which to learn single variable calculus. It is multi variable calculus that I think suffers without a solid mathematical development of calculus. So I am not suggesting that a student should shun calculus class, only that physics and calculus blends very well. They were made for each other.

Bob Hansen