Topic: unable to prove?
Replies: 28   Last Post: Sep 18, 2012 3:54 PM

Frederick Williams

Re: unable to prove?

TS742 wrote:

> Are some hypotheses unprovable?

Idiots like me may say, "no, the hypothesis 0 =/= 0 is unprovable".

Do you mean "are some truths unprovable?"? I don't know. Some may
claim that the truths of mathematics ae just those statements that are
provable.

> Or do they all have a proof that is
> just not found yet? The Riemann hypothesis comes to mind.

Let's suppose that RH is true. "RH is unprovable" may mean various
things:
(1) Humans could prove it were it not for the fact that they will become
extinct before they do so. (And that "could" means what?)
(2) Humans can't prove it because their brains are too feeble. (But the
giraffe-like beings on planet Scorrrf (my keyboard doesn't have the
diacritics that the first and third "r"s should have) prove it as
homework in their first year a school.)
(3) A computer (built and programmed by another computer) proved it
after running for sixty years, but no one is foolhardy enough to claim
that they understand what that computer is doing or that it is bug-free.
(4) No machine or creature in this universe or any other will ever prove
it.

What about the continuum hypothesis in place of RH?

--
The animated figures stand
Adorning every public street