Topic: unable to prove?
Replies: 28   Last Post: Sep 18, 2012 3:54 PM

David C. Ullrich

Re: unable to prove?

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 14:29:33 -0500, "dilettante" <no@nonono.no> wrote:

>"David C. Ullrich" <ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote in message

>> On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:00:20 -0500, "dilettante" <no@nonono.no> wrote:
>>

>>>"Frederick Williams" <freddywilliams@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>>> Are you channelling WM? Somehow that doesn't clear the matter up for me.
>>>I thought my remarks would provoke more discussion. Perhaps no one has
>>>anything to say about this, or perhaps not many read my posts. I suppose I
>>>could remedy the latter by getting either crazier or nastier, or go the
>>>arduous route of posting clever, interesting, and helpful stuff, but no -
>>>I'll just stay my mostly sane, not too horribly nasty, boring self, and be
>>>satisfied with the status quo.

>> I read your post. I started thinking about a reply, came to the
>> conclusion that explaining clearly why something is not clear
>> to me would be difficult...
>>
>> Far from a complete answer: How can there be any
>> confusion over the status of the power set of X?
>> It's simply
>>
>> P(X) = {y : y subset X}.
>>
>> What could possibly go wrong with that? Well, the
>> question is why there _is_ a _set_ S with the
>> property that for every y, y is in S if and only
>> if y is a subset of X.
>>
>> There's also no problem with
>>
>> R = {x : x is not an element of x},
>>
>> except of course there _are_ problems with that.

>Right. Positing the existence of that set leads to a contradiction, so ZFC
>and related systems bar the existence of such a set via the concept of
>proper classes or something. I suppose it isn't known whether positing the
>existence of the power set of the reals leads to a contradiction. Surely
>also taking the existence of this set as an axiom doesn't do anything to
>resolve CH (of course, as far as anyone knows - if it leads to a
>contradiction it resolves everything, in a sense)? (Yes, that's a question)

My point is not that the power set axiom does or might lead to a
contradiction. The point is just that we really do need a power-set
axiom to say that the class of all subsets of X forms a _set_.
And once we're talking about sets that are given to us by
axioms it's no longer so clear that there is a "real" set out
there that the axioms are talking about.

I didn't put that very well. Like I said, I don't expect to put any
of this very well...