Topic: unable to prove?
Replies: 28   Last Post: Sep 18, 2012 3:54 PM

dilettante

Re: unable to prove?

"David C. Ullrich" <ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 14:29:33 -0500, "dilettante" <no@nonono.no> wrote:
>

>>"David C. Ullrich" <ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote in message

>>> I read your post. I started thinking about a reply, came to the
>>> conclusion that explaining clearly why something is not clear
>>> to me would be difficult...
>>>
>>> Far from a complete answer: How can there be any
>>> confusion over the status of the power set of X?
>>> It's simply
>>>
>>> P(X) = {y : y subset X}.
>>>
>>> What could possibly go wrong with that? Well, the
>>> question is why there _is_ a _set_ S with the
>>> property that for every y, y is in S if and only
>>> if y is a subset of X.
>>>
>>> There's also no problem with
>>>
>>> R = {x : x is not an element of x},
>>>
>>> except of course there _are_ problems with that.

>>Right. Positing the existence of that set leads to a contradiction, so
>>ZFC
>>and related systems bar the existence of such a set via the concept of
>>proper classes or something. I suppose it isn't known whether positing the
>>existence of the power set of the reals leads to a contradiction. Surely
>>also taking the existence of this set as an axiom doesn't do anything to
>>resolve CH (of course, as far as anyone knows - if it leads to a
>>contradiction it resolves everything, in a sense)? (Yes, that's a
>>question)

> My point is not that the power set axiom does or might lead to a
> contradiction. The point is just that we really do need a power-set
> axiom to say that the class of all subsets of X forms a _set_.
> And once we're talking about sets that are given to us by
> axioms it's no longer so clear that there is a "real" set out
> there that the axioms are talking about.
>
> I didn't put that very well. Like I said, I don't expect to put any
> of this very well...

Well enough, but I would like to clarify one point: in the proof that CH is
independent, is the power set axiom is in effect?
In other words, taking the existence of the power set of the reals as a
given, is CH still proved to be independent?
,>>>