Topic: Square root of six
Replies: 21   Last Post: Aug 31, 2012 12:47 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Square root of six
att1.html (5.2 K)

On Aug 28, 2012, at 1:37 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not only have I been a professional high school math teacher, through
> calculus, but I have been a professional programmer and continue to
> teach STEM to this day. Yet you're always trying to let me in on
> these inner circle viewpoints you claim to have. Sorry, but I've
> already got a front row seat and know what I'm talking about.

I am just being honest. Your view of software is ancient. That is why colleges have so much trouble being pertinent in CS. They should follow MIT's lead with their Course 6 program. Comparing programming today with programming 50 years ago (when it was near-math) is like comparing medicine today with medicine 100 years ago. It isn't quaint or simple any more. Layer upon layer of complexity has been piled on. Networking, databases, backends, frontends, threading, load balancing, server, client, graphics and to top it off, multiple languages, formal (computer) and natural (human, global). And we are talking one application. I am not complaining, just saying that things change. CS grew up. Some CS people are mathy, like some musicians are mathy, but this isn't a mathy field anymore and hasn't been for quite some time. That died in the 80's. You want mathy CS, then stay in college, become a professor or researcher. Nature only allocated us a certain number of rewrites of the floating point libraries. We have used those up.

Bob Hansen