Topic: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Replies: 37   Last Post: Sep 9, 2012 4:59 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
> ...any combination of pedagogy and curriculum that actually promotes academic learning will necessarily exacerbate The Gap.

This is not correct - in fact, it is anti-arithmetic in its denial of fact.

For example: It's a brute arithmetic fact that if you and I have statistically equivalent capabilities for academic performance and if I'm already getting A's or B's but you are getting D's or F's on the tests we take together, then in terms of ways of measuring like percentage of correct answers or like classifying performance with such as letter grades that reflect and preserve the upper limit for performance inherent in percentage of correct answers, there's much less headroom for possible improvement for me than there is for you.

Now apply this type of reasoning to the measured academic performance gap between whites on the one hand and blacks and Hispanics on the other hand. Either a person is one of these conservatives who have the racist belief that blacks and Hispanics are just not as capable of statistically matching whites in academic performance or a person is one who accepts the brute arithmetic fact mentioned above, which is that any method that works equivalently well for each ethnicity will eventually over time result in the gap in question being reduced in terms of ways of measuring that reflect and preserve the upper limit for performance inherent in percentage of correct answers.

Date Subject Author
9/4/12
Read What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Richard Hake
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Haim
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Wayne Bishop
9/8/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/8/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Wayne Bishop
9/9/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Haim
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
GS Chandy
9/6/12