Topic: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Replies: 37   Last Post: Sep 9, 2012 4:59 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?

Robert Hansen posted Sep 6, 2012 12:24 AM:

> Paul, even according to your theory, Haim's statement
> is the valid conclusion. Whatever the reason for the
> bell curve, if you challenge students more then the
> curve will stretch. Whatever the myriad of elements
> that define each individual's performance in these
> subjects, making the subject more challenging will
> only exasperate the spread, right? This conclusion
> does not require us to identify the elements
> (poverty, IQ, class, etc). For example, let's suppose
> that the gap is predominately the result of socio
> economic reasons. What the heck can an educator do
> about socio economic conditions? Making subjects more
> challenging would only exasperate this situation.
> right? I mean, if the cause was predominately socio
> economic then the only fix would be socio economic.
> But when you purpose EDUCATORS to the task of closing
> the gap, the only tool in their tool box is the
> curriculum and the only way they can reduce the gap
> is to reduce the challenge of that curriculum. I am
> not saying !
> that it is their explicit intention to dumb down
> school, but since they have no control over the real
> causes, as they continue to mutate the curriculum and
> favor changes that reduce the gap, there is a
> selection process going on and in the end you will
> have a dumbed down curriculum.
>
> Educators cannot fix the real issues, whatever they
> may be, therefore, if they reduce the gap, they must
> have reduced the challenge. If I made this statement
> in 1950, it would be a conjecture, but making it now
> with the overwhelming abundance of data in front of
> us, it is a fact. An unfortunate fact, but still a
> fact. What the last 3 decades have proven is that
> educators cannot close the gap, but they can dumb
> down subjects.
>
> Bob Hansen

Merriam Webster Online Dictionary:
============
Definition of EXASPERATE
1
a : to excite the anger of : enrage b : to cause irritation or annoyance to

Examples of EXASPERATE

The criticism of his latest movie is sure to exasperate his admirers.
We were exasperated by the delays.

(GSC) We are ALL exasperated by native English-speakers/writers who just will not learn to use their own language effectively.

Definition of EXACERBATE
: to make more violent, bitter, or severe <the proposed shutdown ... would exacerbate unemployment problems - Science>
- - ex·ac·er·ba·tion noun

Examples of EXACERBATE

The proposed factory shutdown would only exacerbate our unemployment problems.
His angry comments have exacerbated tensions in the negotiation process.
The declining retirement security faced by growing numbers of Americans is being exacerbated by increasing longevity and quickly rising health care costs.

(GSC): People's foncusions as to arguments being made are SEVERELY exacerbated by the wrong words consistently being used in the wrong places. Further, doubts as to even the basic validity of arguments being made are also SEVERELY exacerbated.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
9/4/12
Read What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Richard Hake
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Haim
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Wayne Bishop
9/8/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/8/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Wayne Bishop
9/9/12