Topic: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Replies: 37   Last Post: Sep 9, 2012 4:59 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
att1.html (7.0 K)

On Sep 6, 2012, at 11:02 AM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>>>
>> On Sep 5, 2012, at 7:54 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> For instance, the chart for the black-white math performance gap for
>> 17-year olds shows a decrease from 40 points to 26 points over a 35
>> year period starting in 1973:
>>
>> http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/library/chart-graph/trend-white-black-naep-mathematics-average-scores-and-score-gaps-9-13-and-17-year-old-students
>>
>> For instance, the chart for the Hispanic-white math performance gap
>> for 17-year olds shows a decrease from 33 points to 21 points over a
>> 35 year period starting in 1973:
>>
>> http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/library/chart-graph/trend-white-hispanic-naep-mathematics-average-scores-and-score-gaps-9-13-and-17-year-old-students

>> Paul, you understand that these are the very charts that even
>> educationalists point to when they say the gap has not changed in over 20
>> years.
>>
>> Bob Hansen

> You are the one who brought up the date 1950, making the claim that
> there has been no reduction in the gaps in question since 1950. You
> said this:

Paul, my point regarding "1950" was to pick a date before "The Gap" became popular and political...

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=The+Gap&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=0&smoothing=3

My point was that prior to what has transpired, it seemed reasonable to look to educators to improve education. But with the data we have now it seems that what remains is out of educator's reach. Look at those charts. Is it not obvious that the gains to be had in the early days was simply getting kids into school? And I am not dumping on educators, I am only saying that the issues behind the distribution in scores we see are not issues that educators can address.

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
9/4/12
Read What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Richard Hake
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Haim
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Wayne Bishop
9/8/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/8/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Wayne Bishop
9/9/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Haim
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
GS Chandy
9/6/12