Topic: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Replies: 37   Last Post: Sep 9, 2012 4:59 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

>>http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/library/chart-graph/trend-white-black-naep-mathematics-average-scores-and-score-gaps-9-13-and-17-year-old-students
>>

>>http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/library/chart-graph/trend-white-hispanic-naep-mathematics-average-scores-and-score-gaps-9-13-and-17-year-old-students
>>

> Paul, my point regarding "1950" was to pick a date before "The Gap" became
> popular and political...

> My point was that prior to what has transpired, it seemed reasonable to look
> to educators to improve education. But with the data we have now it seems
> that what remains is out of educator's reach. Look at those charts. Is it
> not obvious that the gains to be had in the early days was simply getting
> kids into school? And I am not dumping on educators, I am only saying that
> the issues behind the distribution in scores we see are not issues that
> educators can address.
>
> Bob Hansen

With this above you have not in the least addressed what your argument
and position actually says. I in my last post to you in this thread

asked you to explain why you keep promoting false and racist claims.
You refused.

Consider that what you claim is utterly contradicted by these charts -
for some of the ages there are significant increases in performance in
these last years to 2008 since 1990, and for two of the six charts
there has been a statistically significant narrowing in the gaps in
question.

Look at the scores for black 9 and 13 year olds. They respectively
went from 208 to 224 and from 249 to 262.

Look at the scores for Hispanic 9 and 13 year olds. They respectively
went from 214 to 234 and from 255 to 268.

The scores roughly went sideways during this time for all the black 17
year olds but went up for the Hispanic 17 year olds, from 284 to 293.

The gap narrowed even during this time period statistically
significantly for the 9 and 17 year old white-Hispanic comparison,
respectively 21 to 16 and 26 to 21.

The gap stayed roughly the same since 1990 in the white-black
comparison for 9 and 13 year olds only because the white scores went
up as well during this time.

All this proves false the racist claims you keep promoting that it's
not possible to improve black and Hispanic scores since 1990, that
improving black and Hispanic scores somehow hurts whites, that public
schools are trying to improve black and Hispanic scores but not white
scores, and that no gap has narrowed to statistically significant
extents since 1990.

And not only that, it's also just not true that all the gaps narrowed
from 1973 to 1990 because, to quote you, it is "obvious that the gains
to be had in the early days was simply getting kids into school."
(Your claim here is essentially this: Blacks and Hispanics had to go
to school in 1973? Wow! I didn't know that!) They were already in
school by 1973. We had compulsory education laws not only in 1973, but
every state in the country had these laws since 1917:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_education#Modern_Era
Quote: "Compulsory school attendance on this model gradually spread to
other countries, reaching the American State of Massachusetts in 1852,
and spreading to other states until, in 1917, Mississippi was the last
state to enact a compulsory attendance law." The idea that they were
not in school in 1973 is an idea that is very condescending toward
black and Hispanic people.

You really do need to stop this putting forth falsity as if it were
fact. And you need to answer the questions I keep putting to you, to
be found most recently in that last post of mine further above.

Date Subject Author
9/4/12
Read What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Richard Hake
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Haim
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Wayne Bishop
9/8/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/8/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Wayne Bishop
9/9/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Haim
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
GS Chandy
9/6/12