Topic: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Replies: 37   Last Post: Sep 9, 2012 4:59 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:
> At 12:59 PM 9/8/2012, Paul Tanner wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu>
> wrote:

>> Great! Signs in both English and Spanish!
>>

> OMG!
> The Spanish are coming, the Spanish are coming!
>

> No, another generation of 3rd (being generous) class citizens are coming.
> By design.
>
> I happen to like real bilingual education - my wife was certified and taught
> in bilingual (English/Spanish) classrooms, our (non-Mexican) children are
> (or were in their prime) completely bilingual in English and Spanish (not my
> Mexican one, unfortunately), and two of my grandchildren (each half Korean)
> are (at 8 and 6) shockingly fluent in Mandarin because of the real bilingual
> immersion charter school that they are privileged to attend. Not the usual
> urban lie for which Alice Callaghan (head of a shelter for abused, almost
> all Hispanic been many illegal, women and their families) who lent her name
> to the Prop 227 initiative here in California after leading (from behind) a
> walkout of 9th Street Elementary here in LAUSD with this statement, "This is
> the only Politically Incorrect thing I've ever done." Why? Because their
> education was entirely in Spanish and demonstrably ineffectual (in any
> language). Excusing the inexcusable makes for good liberal politics,
> however, so keep up the good work.
>
> Wayne

All of what you said above is irrelevant to the point being made. How? Simple. White conservatives who speak only English promote the banning of Spanish in school and in otherwise "official" contexts because they say the country should have an official language that is the main language of the majority culture. But one of these days, the US is going to become majority Hispanic and at least Spanish-speaking, the way the demographic trends are. One wonders whether these white conservatives who speak only English will be consistent and then push for everything "official" to be done only in Spanish, forcing themselves to have to learn the main language of the majority culture - you know, because according to true blue conservative principles, there ought to be an official language that is the main language of the majority culture, and everyone should be forced to learn the main language of the majority culture.

Date Subject Author
9/4/12
Read What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Richard Hake
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Haim
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Robert Hansen
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/7/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Wayne Bishop
9/8/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/8/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Wayne Bishop
9/9/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/5/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Haim
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
Paul A. Tanner III
9/6/12
Read Re: What's the Meaning of "Direct Instruction"?
GS Chandy
9/6/12