Drexel dragonThe Math ForumDonate to the Math Forum



Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by Drexel University or The Math Forum.


Math Forum » Discussions » Education » math-teach

Topic: Re: Who Are The Education Mafia
Replies: 13   Last Post: Sep 10, 2012 9:26 AM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Paul A. Tanner III

Posts: 5,920
Registered: 12/6/04
Re: Who Are The Education Mafia
Posted: Sep 10, 2012 3:11 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

If you think that what you just said below is any argument at all in
defense of science denial, then there is much that you need to learn.

Besides, Google

mathematical modeling terrorism natural disasters

and you will that you spoke too soon in trying make an argument that
there is no mathematics that could ever be used in any way to address
such things in some way.

And by the way, don't commit yet again even another straw person
fallacy and say that if someone can't predict the future then there
can be no mathematical tool that could ever be brought to bear in any
way in addressing such things in some way.

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:
> At this moment I'm watching a 11th year of TV Memorial(?) of 9-11. Somehow,
> their models don't include airliners flying into Trade Towers, earthquakes
> complete with tsunamis that take out nuclear power plants, and the like.
>
> Wayne
>
> At 06:01 PM 9/9/2012, Paul Tanner wrote:
>
> Oh, I see, so those conservative economists who in the name of
> political ideology destroy any possible good reputation as scientists
> by rejecting the science of econometrics (which is in fact
> mathematical economics) when it contradicts their conservative
> ideology (which is almost always), are scientists, but those
> non-conservative economists who say let the this science tell us what
> is true and who accept such are not scientists.
>
> Yeah, that holds up as great logic.
>
> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:

>> In spite of your perspective, mathematical economics is mathematics as you
>> pointed out. Its connection to the real economics of the world, however,
>> is
>> an entirely different matter. Trusting it as anything more is closer to
>> religion than science.
>>
>> Wayne
>>
>> At 08:05 PM 9/8/2012, Paul Tanner wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Economists are among the least logical
>>> of thinkers.
>>>

>>
>> If you are talking about conservative economists who reject
>> mathematical economics, then of course you are right. Such economists
>> have disgraced themselves as scientists in the name of political
>> ideology - as have for instance biologists who in the name of
>> religious ideology rejected evolution.
>>
>> But mathematical economists are at least as mathematical and logical
>> in their thinking as any engineer. Look at 2010 Mathematics Subject
>> Classification (MSC2010)
>>
>> http://www.ams.org/mathscinet/msc/pdfs/classifications2010.pdf
>>
>> and go to 91 and all its subsets. If you want to say that all this
>> mathematical science that is published in this area is not legitimate
>> just because you say so, then have at it.
>>
>> But I for one just don't respect science denial, no matter what the
>> science is - never have, never will.




Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© Drexel University 1994-2014. All Rights Reserved.
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.