Topic: Excessive Equality
Replies: 13   Last Post: Sep 19, 2012 9:02 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Excessive Equality

Paul A. Tanner III posted Sep 11, 2012 10:33 PM:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Haim
> <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:

> > The rest of the article is almost embarrassing
> to me. It is as if I wrote it myself,

<
<snip>
> education in the US public school system, the US now
> has roughly 5% of its entire high school senior aged
> population (and this includes all those not in school
> or in vocational schools or whatever) take *and* pass
> a national calculus exam covering an entire year of
> high school calculus.

<snip>

If correct, this is remarkable indeed, something of which I was entirely unaware. I also believe that most people are unaware of this fact. I too don't believe that there would be another country anywhere that could claim this.

Perhaps US public school educators might like to take up a 'Mission' such as the following?

"To ensure that within X years, we have at least 10% of our high school senior aged population able to take up AND pass a national calculus exam covering an entire year of high school calculus"

Now THAT would truly put paid to all those who, like Haim, are never tired of claiming the demise of the US public school system. It would also probably resolve the associated issue of 'scientific and technical' qualified personnel for the US. It would not be a Mission easy to accomplish by any means - but I believe it could be achievable if there are US public school educators genuinely determined to take it up and if they would put their hearts and minds into it.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")