Topic: Non-Euclidean Arithmetic
Replies: 33   Last Post: Sep 21, 2012 2:48 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: Non-Euclidean Arithmetic

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:
> PT III says:
>>So what? You talk as if you have not heard of "without loss of generality" - look it up. It's standard in mathematics. (I used it a number of times when proving theorems during obtaining my math degree and when teaching geometry.)
>
> Did you get through school by writing on tests about imaginary "processes" that produced answers in your imagination only?

Look them up and be educated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Without_loss_of_generality

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/process

A proof is a process, especially a constructive proof like the one I gave in

of how to construct the location of product ab on the real number line
from being given the locations of 1, a, and b on the real number line,
where a and b are arbitrary reals.

What is your training in mathematics?

------- End of Forwarded Message

Date Subject Author