Topic: Computing pi (or not)
Replies: 8   Last Post: Sep 18, 2012 1:28 PM

kirby urner

Re: Computing pi (or not)

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

<< snip >>

> If true, then pi contains somewhere in its decimal expansion, sequentially, an encoding of the complete works of Shakespeare (any edition), complete encodings of the bible (any edition, any translation.) The sum total of human output all in one number, not just past knowledge, but all books yet to be written as well! [Imagine the enormity of the knowledge contained in the whole tree! Perhaps we should call it the "god tree (tm)".]
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

I actually don't believe this, as a possible universe in which the
expansion of pi does NOT include the complete works of Shakespeare
should be just as likely, unless we're saying there's only this one
universe and that this one DOES have the complete works (so far, no
proofs have been offered -- we're asked to take it on faith just
because "infinity" has been invoked and the usual hand-wavy fashion).

A universe in which pi contains the complete works of Shakespeare
would be anthropic in the extreme, whereas just one verse from one
sonnet would suggest a more cosmopolitan universe, in which humans had
less of an overall footprint.

The flip side of that is the pi digits we already have encode the
complete works of a certain ET sage, whose recorded verses are more
beautiful than the human brain is organically able to comprehend.
Someday, if we have the good fortune to be colonized by this race of
ETs, they will teach us to read what's been in front of us all along.

Kirby

------- End of Forwarded Message