Topic: Non-Euclidean Arithmetic
Replies: 33   Last Post: Sep 21, 2012 2:48 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: Non-Euclidean Arithmetic

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:
> Paul Tanner III Says:
>>>Repeated addition is merely a derivable property of the two operations of such a field like the real numbers, derived in such a field from just some of the algebraic properties
>
> Joe N said:

>>Says you. I say it refers to a family of related procedures for computing addition and as such is a proud and rather ancient member of the incredibly important part of mathematics known today as computational mathematics.
>
> In addition, it can also refer to various *definitions* of addition; to take an example, as in Peano Arithmetic.

Only in the natural numbers and with some work, the integers. In the rational numbers a new definitions for multiplication has to be given in terms of the newly defined numbers called rational numbers, defined as equivalence classes of ordered pairs of integers.

------- End of Forwarded Message

Date Subject Author
9/12/12
Read Re: Non-Euclidean Arithmetic