Topic: True STEM Preparation?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Sep 18, 2012 10:54 AM

kirby urner

Re: True STEM Preparation?

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:
> For the uninitiated, STEM, means Science, Technology, Engineering,and
> Mathematics with a strong national push for properly educating many more US
> students to be competitive in these areas and, of necessity, the teachers to
> meet that need.

Not necessarily classroom teachers of the traditional variety however.
Lots of studio work needed.

Bill Nye the Science Guy was one of our better STEM teachers.

> Focus on the essential mathematics, careful reading, and science courses?

Definitely, all of the above. But don't pretend science courses and
mathematics courses have to be down the hall from each other.

Such thinking is not necessarily forward compatible with our plans.

Not that we won't have halls.

> How simplistic; that's what Legos are for. Crossfile under, "some things
> that are impossible to make up" and "some things that are impossible to
> parody".

Nothing wrong with Lego robotics. There's programming. It's a lot
like turtle graphics, but a lot more engineering in terms of fitting
pieces together.

OMSI (our science museum) is having a "Make Fair" in the parking lot
this weekend. Not

Funny, I was comparing lack of chirality where congruence is concerned
and mentioned thalidomide. The chemistry teacher on TV just now
mentioned that in his class (episode 2, season 1 of something --
fiction, but with real science mixed in).

> http://www.oregonlive.com/north-of-26/index.ssf/2012/09/forest_heights_eighth-grader_p.html

Seems innocuous at worst, I'd say meritorious. Enterprising young person.

Not clear if you have a problem with Lego Robotics.

The kits are pretty expensive and not free and open source, so I don't
know as much about it as I do about some of the other tools of the
trade.

Lego Robotics has been around a long time, tournaments etc. I
coached at Benson High on the topic long ago (my time of peak
exposure).

Kirby

------- End of Forwarded Message