Topic: True STEM Preparation?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Sep 18, 2012 10:54 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: True STEM Preparation?

Wayne Bishop posted Sep 16, 2012 9:30 AM:
>For the uninitiated, STEM, means Science, Technology, >Engineering,and Mathematics with a strong national push >for properly educating many more US students to be competitive in these areas and, of necessity, the teachers to meet that need.

>Focus on the essential mathematics, careful reading, and >science courses? How simplistic; that's what Legos are for. Crossfile under, "some things that are impossible to make up" and "some things that are impossible to parody".

>http://www.oregonlive.com/north-of-26/index.ssf/2012/09
>/forest_heights_eighth-grader_p.html
>
>Wayne

On once again looking carefully through that item pointed to by Wayne Bishop, "Forest Heights eighth-grader plans free Lego robotics camp for STEM education", I am moved to ask again:

Just what is found in that item that's contrary to the values that Dr Bishop claims he wants to promote in schools: "Focus on the essential mathematics, careful reading, and science courses"???

In what way does that eighth-grader's remarkable, quite sizable and, in my opinion, MOST laudable initiative to get his fellow students interested in, say, robotics, work against Dr Bishop's claimed values?

I ask the above not at all rhetorically or sarcastically as I really would like to know: I plan to point in my forthcoming workshops to young Michael Ioffe's notable initiative as a worthy instance of exactly the kind of 'learning values' that teachers should strive to inculcate in their students.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!" - with due apologies to Mr Barry Garelick)

------- End of Forwarded Message