Topic: Super Imaginary Numbers - What are they and how do they help?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Oct 26, 2012 9:53 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Super Imaginary Numbers - What are they and how do they help?

Jonathan Crabtree posted Sep 18, 2012 9:24 AM:
> ============================
> WHOLE numbers, addition and multiplication are among
> the first things schoolchildren learn, but a new
> mathematical proof shows that even the world's best
> minds have plenty more to learn about these seemingly
> simple concepts.
>
> Shinichi Mochizuki of Kyoto University in Japan

<SNIP>
> =============
>
> The above extract is from a 15 September 2012 New
> Scientist cover story titled, Super Imaginary
> Numbers.
>
> While I read the full article, I neither understand
> Shinichi Mochizuki's work nor the magnitude of his
> breakthroughs.

I read another article about Mochizuki's work. I shall take a look at this one, in due course.

> Would someone please explain this all to me in a way
> that makes some sense to a naïve mathematician?
>
> Thank you
>
> Jonathan Crabtree
>
> Here are the original papers currently being
> studied...
>
> http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/Inter-univer
> sal%20Teichmuller%20Theory%20I.pdf
>
> http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/Inter-univer
> sal%20Teichmuller%20Theory%20II.pdf
>
> http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/Inter-univer
> sal%20Teichmuller%20Theory%20III.pdf
>
> http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/Inter-univer
> sal%20Teichmuller%20Theory%20IV.pdf
>
> You can register free and read the full article at
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21528823.800-fie
> ndish-abc-proof-heralds-new-mathematical-universe.html
>
> ------- End of Forwarded Message

As noted earlier, I shall take a look at these articles in due course and see what I can make of them. (Don't hold your breath, as I'm afraid I understood very little of the other article I read; I had in fact asked a friend of mine currently researching into math to explain to me - but he has not come back to me).

Was it Shakespeare who wrote something apposite, to the effect: "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your mathematics" ?

Ah yes, that was actually Hamlet, and the correct quotation is:
+++
"And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy" (not 'mathematics'). [Not *exactly* apposite, alas].
+++
Also, there was a wonderful short story by Jorge Luis Borges, title, I think, "There are more things".

Unfortunately, I find I've lost my only copy of Borges' book, which I would love to read again at this juncture.

GSC

------- End of Forwarded Message