Replies: 4   Last Post: Sep 23, 2012 12:52 PM

Hill, Cathy

RE: [ap-calculus] ap credit versus pay for college credit

NOTE:
and post messages there.
I taught in this situation for 8 years-daily 45-minute classes. The
disadvantage is that you tend to have fewer students take the AP exam
and-if your school wants to build the AP program-this is a step in the
wrong direction. Also, some colleges (Texas A&M and UT-I am in Texas)
would not accept the credit.

Another question, would the college allow you to teach Calculus I over
the year rather than over the first semester? Our local college did, and
that was a big help. High school kids go to school so many hours a
day-plus activities afterwards-that it is difficult for them to get any
type of mastery on a full semester of college Calculus. They just don't
have the time to put into it with 6 or 7 other classes of homework that
day plus activities. The December "final" counted as their midterm exam
and the spring final counted as the final exam.

Continuing the questions: Will they allow you to use the book that you
like or do you have to use their book? If so, are your kids going to
have buy books from the college? We used the same author as the college,
but did not update the edition as often since our high school provided
the books without cost to the students. That was fine with the college.
You also need to clarify with your high school what the final exam
policy will be. Will all students have to take the final? If my kids
signed up as AP, they did not have to take the final exam even if they
opted out of the AP exam-which was not a requirement. (Not something I
agree with!) Students need to understand that if they sign up for the
college credit-and opt to take the AP exam-the final is still required
for the college course.

When I did this, I taught the course as if all were preparing for the AP
exam (even though the class was mixed-and, in fact, mostly college
credit). If this is the way it is set up, prepare for the "Do we have to
do all these reviews, too?" questions from those not taking the exam. Uh
. . . . Yes! J

Hope this helps!

Cathy Hill