Topic: 10 Mathematical equations that changed the world
Replies: 8   Last Post: Sep 25, 2012 12:43 AM

bjacoby@iwaynet.net

Re: 10 Mathematical equations that changed the world

On 9/22/2012 2:30 PM, Dike Melanis wrote:
> "Sam Wormley"<swormley1@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> 10 Mathematical equations that changed the world
>>> http://www.sciencedump.com/content/10-mathematical-equations-changed-world
>>

> # 10 is not accurate, only implied guideline, too much reliance is placed
> upon it by financial types who are math challenged.
>

> # 8 Fourier Transform is * NOT * used in JPEG compression, the Cosine
> Transform is.
>

> # 6 is not that important to be in the top 10
>

> #5 "gravity", not that important, only useful as an approximation, as "g"
> applies only at the surface of Earth.
>

> #4 Maxwells equations are good, but film clip shows an electric arcing
> plasma in background.
>
> so I disagree with film clip, not enough depth of knowledge.

Obviously it's an idiot popular mechanics media treatement. What else
could Wormley understand?

And don't stop with #4.

#3. is simply just plain WRONG. Physics pretends it's universal but they
ignore all life. It's only useful for steam engines! And perpetual
motion does exist (the whole universe is but naught else!)

#2. is just the "science of ignorance" which says that we don't
understand how something works but we still can calculate some
probabilities. And the band theory of semiconductors is largely
empirical because quantum mechanical theoretical solutions are so
complex that virtually none have been actually carried out.

#1. It' no wonder that this popular propaganda piece views the
achievement of being able to vaporize millions of fellow humans in
microseconds as mankind's "greatest" achievement of all time!

Let's hear it for humanity!

?Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not
sure about the universe.?
? Albert Einstein