Topic: None Dare Call It "The Gap"
Replies: 6   Last Post: Sep 23, 2012 12:16 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: None Dare Call It "The Gap"

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:
> None dare? "The president has said changes are needed to close the
> persistent gap between poor and privileged students".
>
> Wayne

> Rethinking the Classroom: Obama's overhaul of public education
>
> By Lyndsey Layton, Published: September 20

But by this very article you cite, "Rethinking the Classroom: Obama's overhaul of public education", this overhaul is in the form of giving conservatives some of what they say they want:

Quote:

In 31 / 2 years in office, President Obama has set in motion a broad overhaul of public education from kindergarten through high school, largely bypassing Congress and inducing states to adopt landmark changes that none of his predecessors attempted.

He awarded billions of dollars in stimulus funding to states that agreed to promote charter schools, use student test scores to evaluate teachers and embrace other administration-backed policies. And he has effectively rewritten No Child Left Behind, the federal law passed by Congress and signed by President George W. Bush, by excusing states from its requirements if they adopt his measures.

Obama's agenda has amplified ideas that have been simmering around the country, including those championed by Republicans, among them the push to give parents more choice about where children attend school and to blast apart a long-standing system that rewarded teachers for longevity but not necessarily effectiveness.

The president has said changes are needed to close the persistent gap between poor and privileged students, drive up high school graduation rates and produce a workforce that can compete globally.

But it is impossible to predict whether his policies, which are years from full implementation, will work. There is little or no research showing that these measures lead to better-educated children or higher graduation rates. Unions and some parents contend that Obama's approach overemphasizes testing and crowds out the arts and other subjects.

Not in this article is the very recent news that now even conservative Governor Perry and Texas want a waiver from NCLB. This now means that almost every last conservative state run by Republicans has asked Obama for a waiver from NCLB.

Conservatives condemn Obama for being for what they have been for.

Wow.

No, I take that "wow" back, since it is par for the conservative course.

To see some proof of this last point, the following gives a list of 24 policies and beliefs conservatives changed their stance on just because Obama tried to reach out to them to work with them by agreeing with them on these 24 policies and beliefs. This list holds as of Sept 2, 2012, the date of the publishing of the following article:

Go to Google and copy and paste the title of the following article with quotation marks

"24 Policies That Republicans Supported BEFORE They Were Against Them"

and see all the places this article can be read. Again, this article has a long list of policies and beliefs that conservatives changed their stance on just because Obama tried to reach out to them to work with them by agreeing with them on these many policies and beliefs.

Here is a partial quote from the article:

"Since President Obama took the oath of office in January 2009, Republicans have reversed their stances on many different policies and beliefs. Here are 24 of them."