Topic: Many in Massachusetts are unprepared for college
Replies: 9   Last Post: Sep 27, 2012 7:17 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Many in Massachusetts are unprepared for college

The problem with all of this is that it doesn't differentiate what kind of degrees these kids are going after. 2 year or 4 year? vocational or academic? How many of the students are actually getting jobs after they graduate? And here is the most troubling line in this article...

"Sixty-five percent of Massachusetts community college students need at least one ­remedial class before they can take on college-level work, as do 22 percent of students at state universities and 7 percent at UMass institutions, according to the report."

Well, this would actually be good news because it sounds like there is a cure. If the student takes remedial classes then they are good to go (can continue with college classes). We could simply teach those remedial classes in 12th grade and have them ready for college or simply leave things as they are and teach the remedial classes at the beginning of college. I mean, who would care if some students had to take one or two remedial classes before college classes?

Except for one small problem. Remedial classes don't work. If you can't make it work in college then how are you going to make it work in high school? Social advancement has got to be the number one problem with our system. Imagine the difference if these kids were on tracks that were congruent with their aspirations and goals. If we had a system like other countries, where students began their journey to college and their FIELD OF CHOICE in high school, I would be more interested in college statistics. But as it stands now, the statistics are worthless. Half of the college graduates since 2005 are unemployed or under employed, and I do not see that changing. Maybe going forward people will, out of economic necessity, that college and tracks must be better planned and managed.

Bob Hansen

------- End of Forwarded Message