Topic: re:[ap-calculus] ap credit versus pay for college credit
Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 25, 2012 3:56 PM

Dixie Ross

RE: re:[ap-calculus] ap credit versus pay for college credit

NOTE:
and post messages there.
The college folks and I solved this problem by having the college final exam be essentially an AP exam (a released version). That way they would prepare for the AP exam and would take it seriously because if there was too much of a discrepancy in scores (between the actual exam score and their college calculus final), the college threatened to pull their credit. I think that was basically a bluff, but they didn't want to look as though they had a lower standard than the AP exam.

dixie

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel [mailto:daniel.herod@adams12.org]
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2012 10:48 AM
To: AP Calculus
Subject: re:[ap-calculus] ap credit versus pay for college credit

NOTE:
This ap-calculus EDG will be closing in the next few weeks. Please sign up for the new AP Calculus Teacher Community Forum at https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started
and post messages there.
Hi - I've taught in this situation for the last 2 years through a concurrent enrollment program with the University of Colorado-Denver. The biggest 'con' in terms of AP is many (most?) kids blow off the AP exam because they already have their college credit locked up. In our district, all AP students are required to take the AP exam.

Last year, about 15 of my 34 students enrolled in the UCD program. All of the 15 earned at least a C under the UCD grading guidelines. The final exam average for their on-campus students was 75%. My students averaged about 65%, so a little lower - but still, they had a decent handle on Calc 1 as compared to an on-campus calculus student. Using that as a gauge, most of my student scores should have been in the 2-3 range...some higher, some lower.

However, of those 15, two earned a 3 on the AP exam and every other kid scored a 1. Many of those kids are seniors this year and I asked them why they did so poorly - and their consensus was 'why should they care about their AP score?'

My district loves the UCD concurrent enrollment program, but I'm not going emphasize it as much this year. Yes, it's a nice opportunity for the students - but when they turn around and blow off the AP exam, it doesn't make me or my school look very good.

Daniel Herod
Northglenn High School
Northglenn, CO

---