Topic: Many in Massachusetts are unprepared for college
Replies: 9   Last Post: Sep 27, 2012 7:17 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: Many in Massachusetts are unprepared for college

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
> Vocational high schools, vocational programs in comprehensive high schools, and inter-district vocational programs such as offered by NYS's BOCES (Boards of Cooperative Educational Services) were commonplace, not that long ago (ie, within living memory).

It was not commonplace to the tune of what I'm talking about, the vocational high schools in Europe that provide on the order of 100 different vocations to choose from - including professional athletics (see Finland, for instance), so large in capacity that it serves 1/w to 2/3 of the entire high schools aged population.

Those "shop" classes were very limited and did not go very far, serving only a tiny, tiny percentage of the entire population of that age.

The reason these went away is simple - enough people like you voted in enough government-hating conservatives to cut taxes again and again and again enough to kill off more and more programs that were not core academic subjects.

That is, the only way the US can go the European model is to raise taxes very significantly on rich people to raise all that extra revenue to build all the different vocational schools that would have to buy all that plant and equipment and all those facilities that would be needed to actually train people in all those very many vocations. Just think about what actually goes into actually training people in all the various vocations, and realize that you can't do it with just pencil, paper, and a textbook. That is, academic training is much cheaper than vocational training.

To anticipate: Before you go off on some tangent saying that there is plenty of money going to the schools now for all those new vocational programs that the Europeans do, that all they have to do is move money around and kill some programs presently in existence, consider the fact that all those fellow conservatives of yours with kids in school are not going to accept shutting down all those expensive non-vocational-training athletic programs like those football programs with all the expense involved in building and maintaining all those football stadiums and so on, shutting down what they as families enjoy together.