Topic: Alaska Dropping Everyday Math
Replies: 3   Last Post: Sep 28, 2012 9:45 PM

Anna Roys

Re: Alaska Dropping Everyday Math
att1.html (2.1 K)

Robert,

I have been reviewing the curriculum and participating in Anchorage School
District committee meetings. Of the finalist, I personally like the
Singapore Math 6-8 best, however, my favorite for Middle School is
Prentice Hall Common Core Middle Grades, Courses 1-3 which did not make it
to the finalist list. I like it because of the electronic features and a
well developed comprehensive assessment database and exam generator where I
can assess by chapter or by standards strands and have data
to differentiate and create mini-lessons for those not getting it.

While the school where I teach is part of Anchorage School District, as a
charter school, we may pick our own curriculum, and as a teacher within the
charter school, select which curriculum I want to use - aside from what
the rest of the district is using. I joined in the district committee
meetings just to check out curriculum and to be in the loop with what my
district was doing with Math curriculum. (I am happy to see Everyday Math
go away. I get students coming from ASD traditional classrooms who have
been using Everyday Math. They are not usually prepared to work at the
level the Common Core standards demand for Grades 6-8)

Anna