Topic: Re: The Prime Directive
Replies: 6   Last Post: Sep 29, 2012 1:08 AM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: The Prime Directive

No, it's the other way around. You have (empirically) proved to this
listserve that any attempt to "prove" anything to you is beyond the
pale. You say that all of these schools have been threatened by "the
education industry" in the past and this lack of "some people in power
in" as a qualifier here for "the education industry" is you claiming
that ALL people in power in education want these schools shut down.
One might as well get other things backwards and for instance say that
all conservatives are white supremacists.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:
> [...]

>> industry's
>> water
>>
>> Wayne
>>
>> At 08:14 AM 9/28/2012, Paul Tanner wrote:
>>
>> Wayne and you are getting this all wrong. That which you call the
>> education mafia - in other words, essentially, the complex that is the
>> public school system and that which supports it - is the entity
>> getting sued here, not the entity doing the suing.
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:

>>> Wayne Bishop Posted: Sep 28, 2012 12:57 AM
>>>

>>> http://bronx.ny1.com/content/top_stories/169716/civil-rights-complaint-to-be-filed-against-specialized-nyc-high-schools
>>>
>>> Wayne,
>>>
>>> This was a good one. Thanks. The paragraph that really caught my eye
>>> is this one,

>>> Allow me to deconstruct it for our friends at home.
>>>
>>> First of all, can you imagine a fairer and more objective criterion
>>> for
>>> admission to a school? And, by "imagine" I do not mean fantasize. Sure,
>>> if
>>> we could do a Vulcan Mind Meld
>>> http://youtu.be/p_5Dt-kNgz8
>>> http://youtu.be/KVTnBpV0O1o
>>> on every student, we would have perfect information. Until then, we will
>>> have to make do with the possible.
>>>
>>> Second, Rachel Kleinman's statement is revealing in ways I feel sure
>>> she
>>> did not intend. Kleinman complains that grades and teacher evaluations
>>> do
>>> not count. So, we already know that the grading system in American
>>> schools
>>> is hopelessly corrupt. Furthermore, Kleinman is assuming there are
>>> legions
>>> of black and brown students with superb teacher evaluations, who are not
>>> being admitted. This may be true, but it seems she cannot imagine that a
>>> teacher might also be unfairly critical of a student, thus unfairly
>>> limiting
>>> that student's chance of getting into Stuyvesant.
>>>
>>> This possibility is obvious to anyone. It is, in fact, one of the
>>> reasons the admissions process is structured as it is: to protect
>>> academically able students from antagonistic teachers. Well, why is
>>> Kleinman blind to this alternative possibility? Is she stupid? Is she
>>> ideologically blinkered? I think not. I think she knows, as we all
>>> know,
>>> that The Prime Directive puts irresistible pressure on teachers and
>>> administrators to favorably evaluate black and brown students.
>>>
>>> Yes, of course, not every black or brown students has good teacher
>>> evaluations. If a student is excessively absent or violent or disruptive
>>> in
>>> some other way, is not academically able, or actively works against the
>>> school and against himself in some way, his evaluations will be poor.
>>> But,
>>> any black or brown student with even a hint of academic performance will
>>> lionized. We know there are minority students who graduate high school