Topic: Re: The Prime Directive
Replies: 3   Last Post: Oct 1, 2012 11:54 AM

Louis Talman

Re: The Prime Directive
att1.html (1.5 K)

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:

In other words, in the late 1960's, the then NYC Board of Education
> (which later became the Dept of Education) intended to dismantle Stuyvesant
> High School and her sisters. People who valued the school formed a
> coalition and lobbied the state. NY State then tied the hands of the BoE
> with the Hecht-Calandra Act. At least for now, Stuyvesant is protected by
> a STATE LAW whose only function is to keep the NYC Dept of Public Education
> ("DOPE") from doing what it wants to do with one of its own schools.

How very interesting. Some time ago, I suggested not only that people have
the government that they want, but that this is reflected in the laws that
get past.

Haim, of course, would have none of it, suggesting that I had a naive
understanding of how laws are made.

Now we find *him* suggesting that people have the government that they
want, and that this is reflected...

Curiouser and curiouser.

--Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver